Ensure the effective management and profitability of stores in the assigned region.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline is required. Candidates with progress toward a relevant bachelor degree combined with progressively responsible management experience may be given consideration.
Five years of progressively responsible management experience in a retail environment is necessary.
Strong leadership skills and well developed written and verbal communication skills are required.
Excellent analytical skills are necessary.
Familiarity with compliance standards in the industry is required. (Sale of alcohol, tobacco, fuel, environmental compliance).
Computer literacy and store operational and financial data systems are necessary.
Good presentation skills.
The ability to interpret a wide variety of operating, financial and Human Resources reports to identify store issues and opportunities for improvement is required.
Well developed skills in managing a large workforce are necessary.
The ability to travel between store locations is essential.
Certification as a Class C Operator of Underground Storage Tanks needs to be obtained. #CA
1. Financial Management: Establish financial goals for each store (volume, margin, inventory cost and turns, labor costs, etc.). Monitor operating reports to ensure targets are met. Coach Store Managers to achieve financial goals. Present operating results to the leadership team.
2. Store Management: Conduct regular audits of each store. Work with Store Managers to improve operations. Ensure appearance, safety and customer satisfaction standards are maintained.
3. Human Resources Management: Mentor Store Managers. Monitor manager and employee performance in each store. Ensure training is completed. Provide positive and corrective feedback to store managers and employees. Participate in the employee selection process. Work with Store Managers and Human Resources to manage performance issues as needed.
4. Business Development: Identify new business opportunities in the assigned region. Work with leadership team to evaluate new products, services or locations by preparing and presenting analyses and recommendations.
5. Compliance: Ensure the company’s ability to sustain its business by monitoring compliance in each store: cash handling, sales of tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, prepared foods, fuel and lubricants. Immediately address any compliance issues identified in audits and work with Store Managers to maintain and/or improve their compliance activities.
ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONS:
Total Direct Reports: 8-14
Total Indirect Reports: 80-130
Variability in business cycles at each store. High turnover among entry level staff so that Store Manages must focus on training.
Most Complex Problems:
Establishing realistic financial (sales & margin) targets for each store, when each store serves different markets and customer groups.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Typical decisions (total authority)
Uses the company’s overall business plan to establish financial and operating goals for each store.
Other decisions (referred for approval)
Recommends new products and services, for review with the company’s leadership team. Suspension/termination decisions are reviewed with Human Resources.